It is always important for some people to protect and preserve their online identity and most importantly the IP address of the device they are using. In this Smartphone age, every one is getting used to browse through internet from mobile phones and to keep tract of their social networks. But mostly they forgets that, even their mobile devices acquires an IP address similar to their computers and this mobile IP can help others to easily track them down from their real name to location.
I actually use Android based Smartphone, so here I’m going to crack down two methods that I use “to keep my online identity safe” or “to hide my IP” and also to unblock the censored websites.
2. Tor for Android
Proxy is always the easiest way to protect your online identity or to hide your IP without any pain or spending money (mostly). In general proxy IP’s are IP addresses that could be used as a mask to hide your very own IP address that is allocated to your computer by an ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Here is the simple steps to use proxy.
1. First of all, we need proxy IP’s that we are going to use to hide our IP address. I prefer proxy IP’s from Samair.ru and hidemyass.com/proxy-list websites to get the proxy IP’s while a number of other sites like http://anon-proxies.com/, http://www.freeproxies.org, http://www.socks24.org, http://www.samair.ru/proxy, http://www.newipnow.com/, http://www.proxy-list.org/en, http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/, http://www.checkedproxies.com/, http://www.multiproxy.org/, http://www.xroxy.com/, http://www.proxy.org/ are also available. If you are about to go for hidemyass then you could search for high-speed, highly anonymous proxy IP with the port number of your choice and even you could get the IP address of the country you want and then note/copy the IP address and the respective port number of that IP.
2. Go to settings in your Android mobile and in settings tap over the “Wi-Fi Setting”.
3. At the bottom, in the Wi-Fi settings there will be proxy options from which, first tap over “enable proxy” if it is not already enabled.
4. After enabling proxy, tap over the “proxy settings” that lies next to the “enable proxy” option. Now, it will ask you to enter the IP address and port number, which you already obtained from either Checked Proxies or Hide My Ass.
5. After filling up the IP and port number, to check whether your proxy works fine, go to your browser and visit the site “whatismyip.com”. If you configured the proxy correctly, the “whatismyip.com” will show you the IP that you filled on “proxy settings”.
1. Easy to change the IP anytime and costs nothing.
1. Proxy IP’s are mostly unstable, I mean the proxy IP’s could become slow or unmask your IP anytime.
2. It is not safe to use your personal accounts and make transactions over proxy. They are prone to hackers and could easily get your accounts hacked. So, stay away from proxies if you are about to do money transfer or transactions, unless you have a premium proxy service or VPN.
Tor for Android:
Orbot is the Tor for Android developed by the developers from Tor project to help Android users to keep themselves safe from online surveillance and identity theft. Although Orbot is not as good as Tor for desktop which is an out of the box browser that could be used just by extracting the downloaded Tor package.
In the device I tested Orbot which is powered by Android 2.3.6 but not rooted, so instead of asking me for Android Super User access that Orbot asks on rooted devices it asked me to download two other Orbot-Enabled apps Orweb and Gibberbot during the installation process. If you are having a rooted Android device, then Orbot will ask you to select which apps to use through Tor as an Android super user and in next few clicks you will finish the installation process. The other users with non-rooted device just follow the few simple steps below to start using Tor on your Android.
Orweb, is nothing but a privacy-enhanced browser which was compatible and could work through Tor and so do the Gibberbot except it is a secure chat app with off-the-record encryption. You could download and install them by tapping over the download link suggested by Orbot which will eventually lead you to Google Play or you could just install them later directly from Play.
After installing the above two apps and Orbot, now open the Orbot app from your device, click and hold on the screen where it says “Tor deactivated” to let the app automatically activate and connect you to the Tor network. Once the app connects your device to Tor network you are ready to go and open the Orweb browser that automatically checks and tells you whether you are successfully connected to Tor or not, so that you can continue browsing on Android through Tor network.
High level of anonymity con be obtained through Tor and in addition Tor could unblock every single censored websites based on your location and the IP address given to you by Tor.
1. It is not safe to do online transactions or shopping and other similar activities. So never ever try the aforementioned activities until the Tor developers team says it’s “safe now”.
2. Don’t use Tor while you are downloading any files via Torrent on both desktop and Android smartphones, as they might reveal your IP address.